This week, on April 29th, the dear friend and punk celebrity, Chris Farren, celebrates his birthday. Why this day is not a national holiday with the banks shut down and everything, is beyond me. Chris is, genuinely, one of my favorite musicians (Fake Problems / Antarctigo Vespucci / Chris Farren). He is also one of my favorite humans. I am so thankful to have him in my life!!!! In honor of his birthday, the most joyous of occasions, I wanted to share some of my top memories of Chris, in no particular order.
- In 2014, at a Jeff Rosenstock CMJ show at Death By Audio, Chris tried to physically remove me from the venue and later threatened to call the cops because I said I liked Tangled more than Frozen.
- Also in 2014, my friends Hindi, Tiffiny, and I collected some of our favorite tweets of Chris’, and put them over Tiffiny’s photography. We called this Farrenspiration. We printed out some of these and asked him to sign them, and for some reason he still talks to us.
- He did a taping of the Chris Gethard Show in 2014, which happened to be Booty Shake Hour. The entire show was just shaking booty, with two breaks where Chris would perform and then the audience would shake booty to his music. It was an experience, for sure.
- I first saw Fake Problems live in 2011, opening for Murder By Death, at Bowery
Ballroom. I met Chris before the show and he recognized me from Twitter and Tumblr. He was super nice and after their set gave me their setlist.
- One time he gave me all the answers to a final exam I was taking. My favorite answer of his was: “I’ve read parts of over 10 books”
- He skyped with my brother for one of his high school projects. At the end of it, he also talked to one of my dogs. He tried to guess her name, and it was one of the best things I have ever seen. From that moment on, whenever I talked to Chris about that particular pup, we called her by one of his guesses – “HamHam”.
- Hindi, Tiffiny, and I went to Philly to see Antarctigo Vespucci (one of the greatest bands to ever band) on their first ever tour, at the Golden Tea House. We brought the band Frozen temporary tattoos. They all put some on, all over their arms. We were also covered in them (faces / arms / chests). This earned us a mid-set shout out. The following day in NYC, they were all still in the tattoos.
- Chris and Jeff did a live taping of their podcast, Back To The Island. Hindi, Tiffiny, and I all attended in our matching Chris Farren shirts. We called ourselves the Chris Farren Fan Club (CFFC). Somehow, he still talks to all of us. He also posed with my Charlie Pace action figure, and Driveshaft ring.
- He is so good at the music thing???? It sometimes makes me mad. How does he do it!!! He said he would introduce me to the cross roads demon he made a deal with, so at least I can get in on that action. (But seriously, in every form his music has taken it makes me feel a lot of things, and it’s always so fun live, and it’s just amazing.)
- Chris is genuinely one of the nicest human beings I have ever encountered. I went lurking through Twitter, and one of the first times he ever tweeted me was to send me some hearts after my mom was hospitalized years ago, and like ???!! he didn’t have to do that!! I wasn’t anyone to him except a fan. He is always very kind, and he is a GOD DAMN DELIGHT.
- His Twitter replies make my life complete.
Please enjoy a small collection of photos with the birthday boy over the years:
Hi Chris. Thank you for being such a source of joy in my life, in so many ways, for the past six years. We don’t deserve you!!! Happy birthday.